The German army issued a number of Winter specific footwear items beginning in about 1939. The first item issued was the Sentry Boot. These boots were designed to be worn over regular Marschstiefel and provide a thick layer of insulation. These bots were reproduced from heavy felt and were fitted with either a leather or a wooden sole. Both front and rear opening examples were produced by a number of different manufacturers. These boots were never intended to be worn alone and were intended for Vehicle drivers and men standing sentry duty. These sentry boots were produced through 1943. In addition to the wool felt sentry boots, there were also over boots made from straw as well. The German army also desired a winter boot that could be worn in lieu of regular marching boots. These boots would be more practical for soldiers who had to move a great deal either in combat or in the performance of their assigned duties. The first pattern was a direct improvement on the Russian felt Valenki boots. To the heavy felted boots, leather soles and sidewalls were added to provide greater strength, comfort, and protection from moisture. This first pattern seems to have been made concurrently with the Sentry Boots. The second pattern was introduced late in 1941 or early in 1942 and featured a full felt boot with a lower section that is entirely encased in leather to above the level of the ankle. Once these were introduced, production of these seems to have entirely superseded the first pattern and the sentry boots though both continued to be issued until they were no longer serviceable. A third type was introduced in 1942 (referred to as the 1942 pattern). It was made of canvas and it could be stuffed with straw, newspaper, felt, cloth or whatever was available. This type was quite uncommon but it offered the advantage of being less susceptible to getting sopping wet than the felt boots.